Visualforce is the component-based user interface framework for the Force.com platform which includes a tag-based markup language in which each tag corresponds to a fine-grained user interface component, such as a section of a page, or a field.
Lightning is the collection of tools and technologies which provides a significant up-gradation to the Salesforce platform which offers a user-friendly experience along with an impressive design.
Also check: Salesforce Lightning Community
Nowadays organizations are switching from Visualforce to lightning to optimize their business. Here are some reasons to choose lightning over Visualforce.
- App-centric model: The Lightning framework is an app-centric model which provides data and business logic to develop dynamic web applications for mobile and desktop.
- Quick to create: The Lightning App Builder empowers to build apps visually, without code, quicker than ever before using off-the-shelf and custom-built Lightning components.
- Easy to handle: You can make your Lightning components available in the Lightning App Builder so administrators can build custom user interfaces without code.
- Component usability: Visualforce components are page-centric and most of the work is done on the server whereas lightning components are client-side centric, which makes them more dynamic and mobile-friendly.
- Time Optimization: Drag-and-drop technologies helps to create app very fast and makes easy to build app & customization of the app.
- Easy Solution: With the smooth design and development of the app., it is very easy to obtain a scalable solution.
- Low cost of ownership with no additional licensing fee.
- A perfect balance between out-of-the-box and customizable UX.