Salesforce Lightning is a component-based framework for app development from Salesforce.com that is designed to simplify processes for business users.
Salesforce has recently released the Lightning Web Components (LWC) that is a new programming model for building Lightning components. This is a tool that allows developers to code components in the Lightning Platform.
Characteristics of Salesforce Lightning Web Component:
- It leverages custom elements, templates, shadow DOM (Document Object Model), decorators, modules, and other new language constructs available in ECMAScript 7 and beyond.
- Lightning Web Components provides a layer of specialized Salesforce services on top of the core stack, including:
- Base Lightning Components: This includes a set of over 70 UI components all built as custom elements.
- Lightning Data Service: It provides declarative access to Salesforce data and metadata, data caching, and data synchronization.
- User Interface API: This underlying service that makes Base Lightning Components and the Lightning Data Service metadata aware, leading to substantial productivity gains.
- It also combines Web Components programming model with the Salesforce metadata and services thus providing an unmatched level of performance and productivity.
Advantages of Salesforce Lightning Web Component:
- Enhanced Performance– Lightning web components will run on the browser without any complex abstractions thus providing better performance to end-users.
- Ease of Use– Once developed, the admins can deploy Lightning Web Components with clicks to the applications.
- Compliant to web standards.
- Memory efficient
- Easier to learn and Transferable knowledge.
What will happen to exist Lightning Components?
Developers can continue to build lightning components using the Aura framework with parallel to Lightning web component but for future development, Salesforce will recommend using Lightning Web Components.
Lightning Web Components will be available for the users by February 2019 in Enterprise, Unlimited, Performance or Developer Edition org.
Lightning Web Components give developers more choice to build the applications on the Salesforce Lightning platform with the modern offerings of the web development with better performance for the end-users.